Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Finally - Malaria Part II

“FINALLY” - PART 2

I’ve had so many sympathetic responses to my ‘deathly’ bout with Malaria that I nearly went to bed. Thank you for the kind words. I have had several offers from several of you to be the featured speaker at my funeral (mostly for a fee) and for those who have offered to send money in lieu of flowers, I have identified the Perpetual Education fund for the small donations and Ritchie Enterprises for the larger ones.

Actually, my main reason for sharing my ‘disease’ with many of my friends and family was an attempt to dispel a rumor that runs among some, that Africa is a the only place that “I’ll go where you want me to go Dear Lord” was not intended to cover. I have become convinced that I have been in just as much danger of being mugged driving through Magna or Montana as Marrameu in the jungles of Mozambique; that my bags would be lost just as easily on my flight to London or L.A as Luanda and that I could get sick with the flu in Altamont almost as fast as with Malaria in Accra.

Malaria, like most other ‘dangers’ in Africa are relative. True, Malaria kills millions each year, but most did not need to die. If preventive medicine is made available (which cuts dramatically the severity of the disease if contracted) and it is early diagnosed the six pills keeps most of us on our feet without bed time (as long as the ‘john’ is close by and a chair is available when feeling faint). The same with crime, criminals and other dangers – again probably the mission president in Lansing is in as much danger as we are if they don’t take precautions to prevent problems.

Africa is a big, beautiful and wonderful land. Problems? Sure! Scary at times? Sure! Diseases? Yes! Poverty? Tons! Political Corruption? Too Much! Are there places I wouldn’t go at night in Provo, Utah? Maybe! Salt Lake? For sure! I know more people who have been hurt on Jordanelle Hill running into Moose or Elk than all the ‘man-eaters’ in Kruger. Africa often takes a bad rape for her problems. The Mugabe’s of life hurt everyone. WE focus on those men who bring shame on such a wonderful land. WE forget about all the other great people who are trying hard to bring peace and stability to Africa. There are millions (thousands and thousands of them are Latter-day Saints) who are doing everything in their power to give their people jobs, overcome poverty and dependency and trying to build self-reliance in their people. Lots of work to do? Nearly overwhelming! Are there opportunities to make a difference? Charge in any direction! Will we occasionally get bitten by a mosquito? Can’t be avoided! Could we have a heart attack in Heber City? It’s happened before!

I don’t want to die in Africa of Malaria but I don’t want to die of Mumps in Midway either, but I do want to die with my ‘boots’ on and whether it is in Maputo, Mauritius or Myton I’m not sure I care – just don’t let it be said at my funeral that I was overheard saying, ‘I’ll go where you want me to go...except... or please not now...or not to Africa...or most especially not to Lome.” That excuse won’t work because Nurse Carolyn still has 47 more boxes of her secret Malaria medicine sitting on the shelf and you won’t even have to take a day off when the Mugabe Mosquito (they are the wicked ones) bits you...you can take your pills, take it easy for a day or two and then get back to making a difference. There is no greater joy.

Bro Jim

Remember Ritchie Enterprises for the big checks...mail them to Heber City - please no more flowers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home